Many people mistakenly associate bankruptcy with being judged, punished and a future plagued by damaged credit and limited options. The truth is, bankruptcy is a tool intended to help people repair their finances and take advantage of a clean slate — not inflict lasting harm.
You Don't Need Ultimatums — You Need Creative Options
At FerrisWinder, PLLC, we are committed to helping people in Richmond and throughout Virginia understand the benefits of bankruptcy. Our attorneys accomplish this by arming our clients with the information and resources they need to make intelligent decisions and take meaningful steps toward becoming debt free through the bankruptcy process.
Whether you're facing foreclosure on your home or you are running from creditors who hound your every step, we are confident that we can surround you with the tools you need to retake control of your financial life.
A few of the protections and other benefits bankruptcy offers, include:
- A chance to start over: Bankruptcy can be the tool you need to restart your financial life. By discharging your unsecured debts through Chapter 7 or paying them down over time through Chapter 13, you will have the opportunity to begin again with a clean slate.
- Preventing foreclosure: If you are struggling to keep up with your mortgage, Chapter 13 bankruptcy will allow you to restructure your debt into more manageable payments. Even if you have fallen far behind, we can explore options for avoiding foreclosure and keep your family where it belongs — in the family home.
- Stopping creditor harassment: Constant calls and past-due notices from creditors are one of the most common complaints we hear from clients. Bankruptcy's automatic stay provides a shield against creditor harassment. Once you file your bankruptcy petition, creditors are required to leave you alone. If they violate the automatic stay, we can help you hold them accountable.
- You get to keep your possessions: Instead of draining your retirement or selling off heirlooms, filing for bankruptcy can help you hold on to the assets that are most important. Yes, Chapter 7 bankruptcy is often called liquidation for a reason, but there are numerous bankruptcy exemptions, and in most cases, debtors are able to retain their home, their cars and other possessions. As your lawyers, we can explain all the exemptions that apply to your situation.
- Not just debt relief, stress relief: Carrying a heavy debt burden is one of the most difficult things a person can endure. It puts stress on your marriage as well as your professional life. By filing for bankruptcy, you can get the breathing room you need to reassess your finances and shake off your debts and the stress that comes with them.
We Will Walk You Through The Benefits Bankruptcy Has To Offer
When you have questions, we are here to provide answers. Call FerrisWinder, PLLC, at 804-767-6848 or send an email by completing our online contact form. We represent clients in Richmond, Petersburg and across Virginia.